Commercial/industrial projects from new buildings and additions to alterations and various smaller projects require a permit. Plan reviews are conducted for these project types which are listed in the table below.
If you have any questions regarding the permit application or process, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
- Commercial village permit application
- Electrical permit application if electrical work is performed
- 2 copies of architectural stamped drawings (Note: a 3rd set may be requested by the Plans Examiner for certain projects.)
- For other requirements specific to each project, including current fees and required inspections, a resource guide is available by choosing your project in the table below.
- Contractors working on the project must obtain a valid village Contractor's Business License. The village does not license roofers or plumbers as these trades are licensed by the State of Illinois. You can verify if a roofing contractor is state licensed by visiting the website of the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulations. To verify if a plumbing contractor is state licensed, visit the website of the Illinois Department of Public Health or call them at 217.524.0791. If the village does not have a current copy of a roofer's license or plumbing contractor's license, we will ask that they submit a copy to us prior to permit issuance. Effective March 1, 2013, per 225 ILCS 320/37 (from Ch. 111, par. 1135 of The Illinois Plumbing License Law), "A letter of intent shall be included with all plumbing permit applications. The letter shall be written on the licensed plumber of record's business stationery and shall include the license holder's signature and, if the license holder is incorporated, the license holder's corporate seal. If the license holder is not incorporated, the letter must be notarized."
Projects that Require Permits