An electrical permit is required for installation of a generator. If you have hired a contractor to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the Village before issuance of the permit. If you have any questions, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Electrical permit application
- Two (2) copies of the plat of survey
- Proposed work shall be drawn and clearly dimensioned on the survey
- Application shall include proposed work dimensions, location, construction valuation and electrical details.
- Sub base/rough inspection (Generator pad)
- Rough inspection
- Final inspection
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
An on site generator shall be the source of the exit and emergency lighting system for all apartment buildings, apartment type complexes, hotels, motels, condominiums, nursing homes, retirement type complexes, and offices, where the construction of said structure exceeds four (4) or more floors or four (4) or more levels in height above grade.
- All ceiling mounted lighting fixtures and/or exit signs used for emergency lighting from a generator source of power shall contain an in line type fuse located in the first junction box serving said fixture.
- Floors or levels as noted above shall be counted to include floors or levels constructed for use as boiler room and mechanical room.
- The generator installation and related equipment emergency wiring systems, and the like, shall also be in full compliance with all code requirements as indicated in this chapter, and to include any reference to article 700 through 700-4 of the 2005 national electrical code and latest Schaumburg amendments. Fuel source for emergency generator may be of diesel fuel, propane type fuel, or public utility natural gas.
- Regardless of what type of fuel is used, the piping system shall employ a flexible section so approved for connection between the rigid piping system to the generator apparatus for vibration purposes.
- An approved lockable valve assembly shall be installed on the piping system and shall be completely operable from floor level. Where propane type fuel or public utilities gas fuel is employed, an approved detection system shall be installed within the generator room for the purpose of automatic fuel shut down in the event of gas leakage. An approved alarm device shall be installed that will indicate activation of the detection system.
- Approved metal signs shall be installed and properly labeled to identify the type of fuel employed and fuel source shutoff valve to remain in the "open" position.
- The generator designated as the source for the emergency lighting system shall not be installed out of doors of the main building structure. The generator shall be located in a separate room that is designated for the generator and emergency equipment, such as transfer switches, disconnects and panelboards only.
- Generators so designated for the source of emergency lighting systems and housed in approved weatherproof type enclosures may be permitted for installation out of doors only for existing apartment buildings, apartment type complexes, condominiums, retirement centers, and nursing homes.
- Per article 700-4 of the 2005 national electrical code, the village of Schaumburg requires all emergency generators, utilized for emergency lighting and exiting of buildings requiring generators, shall be exercised or tested a minimum of once each week.
- A monthly maintenance program is required for the generator or each battery system, control ignition, auxiliary, and all other related components (per manufacturer) that serve said generator.
- All maintenance records shall be located adjacent to each generator and made available to any authority having jurisdiction.