When constructing a patio on your premises, a permit is required. If you have hired a contractor(s) to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the village before a permit can be issued.
Questions can be directed to the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee: $60
- Prepour/compacted base inspection
- Final inspection - after work is completed and backfilled.
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
- Concrete 4 inch minimum over 4 inch compacted fill. Pea gravel not an acceptable sub-base.
- Steps - maximum rise 7-3/4 inches. Minimum run 10 ten nose to nose, 3/8 inch maximum variable on rise and run. Grippable handrail required if four or more risers, minimum 36 inches above stair nose.
- All vegetation under sub-base material to be removed.
- Pitch of patio to be away from primary structure.
- Maintain minimum 5 foot clearance from property lines.
- Brick pavers to be installed as per manufacturer specifications. Air borne dust must be suppressed with water or alternative method.
- Fire pits, patio fireplaces or other controlled burning devices may require separate fire plan review.
- Total rear yard coverage shall not exceed 40 percent of rear yard.
- Patios only allowed in rear yards.
A patio construction permit does not include permission to build or install a fire pit. The term Fire Pit includes: a permanent and stationary fire pit, a prefabricated fire pit, a chiminea, an outdoor fire place and a fire ring. These types of installations require a separate permit, and due to fire safety concerns, very stringent requirements apply.