When constructing a shed on your premises, a permit is required. If you have hired a contractor(s) to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the Village before issuance of the permit.
If you have any questions, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee: $50
- Village permit application - residential
Two (2) copies of the Plat of Survey with structure drawn to scale. Include the dimensions from rear and side lot lines.
Two (2) copies of the drawings of the shed, including elevations.
Possible sub base or foundation inspection
- Rough framing inspection
- Final inspection
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Sheds must be constructed a minimum of five (5) feet from all property lines. The maximum height of a shed is fifteen (15) feet.
Sheds may be built on cement blocks, patio blocks, etc., at the homeowner’s discretion. If a shed is erected on a cement slab, an inspection will be required before the pour.
- Sheds located in rear yards shall be located a minimum of two (2) feet from the principal structure or any other accessory building. The area between the structures shall be kept clear of any equipment, materials or debris.
- The maximum size of rear yard sheds is two hundred (200) square feet.
- Sheds shall not be located less than five (5) feet from an interior side lot line and a rear lot line when located in the rear yard.
- Roofing requirements shall comply with the current International Residential Code for shingles and felt.
Sheds in Buildable Side Yards
Sheds may be constructed in the useable space only of the side yard.
Sheds shall not be located closer to the front lot line than the principal structure located on the lot or the principal structure located on the adjoining lot, whichever places the structure furthest from the front lot line.
- Sheds located in side yards shall not exceed one hundred (100) square feet in area and shall not exceed a maximum height of nine (9) feet.
- Landscaping shall be provided across fifty percent (50%) of the front and sides of a shed to a minimum height of three (3) feet when located in a side yard. A minimum of fifty percent (50%) of landscaping for sheds shall consist of evergreen trees or shrubs.
- Side yard sheds are required to be a minimum of (2) feet from the primary structure and other accessory structures