Fire Safety

Fire Safety For Everyone

 Smoke Alarms  Carbon Monoxide  Electrical Safety Cooking Safety
 

Smoke Alarms

Test your Smoke DetectorSmoke alarms save lives. Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained give early warning of a fire so you can get out quickly.

 

  • Did you know? Illinois law requires that single family residences have smoke alarms installed on every level of the home, including the basement. There must be at least one smoke alarm within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Even better is to have one smoke detector in every bedroom and to have all smoke alarms be interconnected.
  • Smoke alarms should be tested per the manufacturer's instructions (usually at least once a month) by pressing the test button.
  • Smoke alarms should be replaced every 8-10 years, per the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Make sure everyone in the home knows that the sound of the smoke alarm means to get out quickly!
  For more information about Smoke Alarms, click on a link below:
 For Adults  For Kids

 

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas createdCO Alarm when fuels (such as gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, and methane) burn incompletely. CO alarms are your best protection because they provide warning when carbon monoxide reaches dangerous levels, allowing people time to escape.

  • Sources of CO include fuel-powered vehicles and equipment, gas and charcoal grills, and gas and wood-burning fireplaces. Water heaters, furnaces and kitchen ranges that are improperly installed or malfunctioning can also give off carbon monoxide.
  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by law. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home.
  • Test and replace CO alarms according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the alarm still sounds after replacing batteries, make sure everyone exits the home and then call 911. The fire department will measure CO levels, help to identify the source, and let you know when it is safe to return.
  • CO poisoning can result in illness or death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness and headaches.
  • Help prevent CO from entering your home by following these tips:
    • Don't warm your vehicle in the garage, even if garage doors are open.
    • Keep dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace vents clear of snow.
    • Never use a generator indoors.
    • Never use your oven to heat your home.
    • Have fuel-burning equipment and chimneys inspected annually by a professional.
    • When using a fireplace, always ensure the flue is open.
    • Never use gas or charcoal grills in the home or garage - only use outside.

For more information about Carbon Monoxide, click on a link below:

 For Adults  For Kids

 

Electrical Safety

   We use electricity every day to make our lives easier. Follow these tips to utilize electricity safely.
  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician in accordance with local requirements.
  • Be sure that electrical cords do not run under carpet or get caught under furniture legs. Check cords for signs of wear, frayed edges, or exposed wires. Replace damaged cords immediately.
  • Major appliances like refrigerators and clothes dryers should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet and not plugged into extension cords or power strips.
  • Only plug one heat-producing appliance into an outlet at a time.
  • Have a qualified electrician add new outlets in areas where you need them rather than relying on extension cords. Extension cords are intended for temporary use only.
  • Buy electrical products with labels showing that have been tested by independent laboratories like Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and Factory Mutual.
  • Signs of electrical problems include: frequent tripping of circuit breakers, discolored or warm electrical outlets, flickering or dimming lights, a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance, and sparks from an outlet. Have a qualified electrician inspect your electrical system.   

For more information about Electrical Safety, click on a link below:

 For Adults  For Kids
 

Cooking Safety

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Keep your home and family safe by following these tips: 

  • Keep anything that can burn, like oven mitts, towels, curtains and food packaging, away from the stove.
  • Stay by the stove when frying, grilling or broiling food. If you must step away, turn off the stove.

  • Check on items in the oven often. Set a timer as a reminder.
  • Wear short sleeves or roll up long sleeves when using the stove.
  • Never put water on a grease fire.
  • Keep a lid nearby while cooking on the stovetop. If you have a pan fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner.
  • If there is a fire in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
  • Keep a 3-foot "kid-free zone" around the stove and hot food items.
  • Keep pot handles turned back, away from the stove edge, and use the back burners when possible.
  • Take care when removing lids from hot foods. Be careful when removing hot foods or liquids from the microwave.
  • Place hot items in the center of the dinner table. Keep hot liquids such as coffee away from children's reach.
 
       For more information about Cooking Safety, click on a link below:
 For Adults  For Kids