Applications will be accepted beginning July 5, 2019 through August 4, 2019.
Written Exam will be held on Saturday, August 10, 2019 at Harper College.
Please direct ALL QUESTIONS regarding the application, required documents, or testing prior to application deadline to:
The Schaumburg Police Department is the third largest municipal police department in Cook County.
Serve, Protect, and Enhance the Quality of Life through Community Partnerships
Be a model law enforcement agency viewed internally and externally as professional, enthusiastic, trustworthy, and at the forefront of the police profession.
Consider joining the Schaumburg Police Department
We are an organization that embraces change and innovation. Career development through various assignment opportunities and training will provide a great foundation for the future. We value service in answering calls, solving crime, problem-solving and providing education.
Applicants for an entry-level position with the Village of Schaumburg must meet the following criteria for submission of an application:
- Must be Citizen of the United States
- Applicants shall be under 35 years of age, at the time of application and at such time as the final eligibility list is posted, unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Fire and Police Commissioner’s Act. Applicants, at such time as they file their application with this board, must be 21 years of age. Proof of birth date will be required at time of application.
- All applicants shall furnish a copy of their Military Service Record, Discharge Papers, Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, certifications, College or University Degree and, if requested, a copy of a certified transcript of their coursework from an accredited College or University at the time of the application.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university with official transcript required prior to the written exam. Military experience and college credits are not accepted in lieu of this requirement.
- Valid driver’s license and social security number.
- All Village of Schaumburg employees are expected to present a professional appearance.
A false statement knowingly made by a person in an application for examination, connivance in any false statement made in any certificate which may accompany such application or complicity in any fraud touching the same shall be regarded as good cause for exclusion from the examination.
Job Posting Details and Requirements
Applicants for examination must be citizens of the United States.
Applicants shall be under 35 years of age, at the time of application and at such time as the final eligibility list is posted, unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Fire and Police Commissioner’s Act. Applicants, at such time as they file their application with this board, must be 21 years of age. Proof of birth date will be required at time of application.
The following educational requirements apply to Police Officer applicants:
- Applicants must have obtained a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university at the time of the written exam. Evidence of such (official transcript) must be provided when requested by the Board.
The Board may refuse to examine an applicant or, after examination, to certify him/her as ineligible.
- Who is found lacking in any of the established preliminary requirements for the service for which he or she applies.
- Who is physically unable to perform the duties of the position to which he or she seeks appointment.
- Who is addicted to the use of drugs or intoxicating beverages or is found to have taken or used drugs and/or narcotics illegally.
- Who has been convicted of a felony or any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, as specified in of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners Act.
- Who has been dismissed from any public service for just cause.
- Who has attempted to practice any deception or fraud in his or her application. A false statement knowingly made by a person in an application for examination, connivance in any false statement made in any certificate which may accompany such application or complicity in any fraud touching the same, including the interview.
- Who may be found disqualified in personal qualifications or health.
- Whose character and employment references are unsatisfactory.
- Who, if applying for a position as a police officer, does not possess a Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) test certification card issued within ninety (90) days immediately preceding the date of written exam. A copy of the POWER test certification card must be provided at written exam check-in.
- Who has applied for a position as a police officer and is or has been classified by his or her Local Selective Service Draft Board as a conscientious objector.
- Who, if applying for a position as a police officer, does not possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University.
- Who in the judgment of the commission has not successfully completed the examinations described in Chapter III of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners Rules and Regulations.
- Any applicant deemed disqualified hereunder, shall be notified by the Board.
At the discretion of the Board, defective applications can be returned for correction, or the applicant can be disqualified.
MEETING ALL REQUIREMENTS
Candidates prior to original appointment must satisfy all requirements contained in these rules and any Ordinance of the Village of Schaumburg. The Board may ask that proof of successful fulfillment of any requirement contained herein or adopted by the Village of Schaumburg or State Statute be provided at any time during the application, testing, or appointment process. The determination of when proof will be provided and the nature of the proof required rests solely with the Board. The responsibility of providing proof rests solely with the applicant.
APPLICATION AND TESTING PROCESS
- Application Fee - $50 (non-refundable)
- Click here to begin the applications process
- Application Deadline – July 6, 2018 at 11:59 PM
- Written Test – Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 9:00 AM – Harper College, Palatine. IL – Building E Rooms 106 and 107
EXAMINATION PROCESS COMPONENTS
The following examinations may be conducted by the Board. The components and sequence of testing may vary at the discretion of the Board. Failure to successfully complete any examination disqualifies the applicant from any further participation. Each weighted component of the examination process shall be based upon a scale of 1 to 100. The Board, at its discretion, may employ third parties to conduct any of the examinations administered pursuant to these rules.
Percent of Total Grade
|To be announced by the Board prior to conducting the examination and may vary based upon the examination or third party employed by the Board.
Oral Test (Interview)
To be announced by the Board prior to conducting the examination and may vary based upon the examination or third party employed by the Board.
Equal Opportunity Employer