Practice Safety This Holiday Season
While feedback from Schaumburg’s recent National Citizen Survey™ (NCS) indicated that 95 percent of respondents view the village as an excellent or good place to live with 91 percent of residents giving a positive rating regarding their overall feeling of safety in Schaumburg, it is important to remember that crime can occur in any community.
During the holiday season when opportunistic crimes tend to spike in many communities, the Village of Schaumburg would like to remind the public to follow these tips to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Do not leave valuables or keys inside the car.
- Park where your car can be seen from the street.
- Always lock car doors when in or out of the car; warming up car, pumping gas, etc.
- At night, park in a well-traveled and well-lit area.
- Have your keys in your hand and be ready to unlock the door. As you approach your vehicle, scan the area, glance underneath the vehicle, and take a quick look inside before entering.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Walk with friends...there’s safety in numbers!
- When walking, have a cell phone ready to call 911.
- Know your surroundings. Offenders look for victims who are unaware; talking/texting on phones, looking in bags, etc. When walking, always be aware of everyone around you.
- Keep purchase receipts in your wallet or purse.
- Do not carry cell phones or wallets in your back pocket.
- Keep an eye on purses and bags while shopping and dining. Do not hang your purse on the back of your chair while dining.
- Leave the store with others, not alone. Ask security to escort you to your vehicle if you feel uncomfortable.
Schaumburg is a place where millions visit every year; the chances of becoming a victim of a crime is slim and can be reduced even further by making sure individuals remain alert of their surroundings at all times. The Schaumburg Police Department reminds the public that if you see something or someone acting suspicious, please dial 911. For additional questions regarding crime prevention in Schaumburg, dial 311 in the village.
Additional NCS Feedback from Residents
- 97% of residents rated their feeling of safety in their neighborhoods positively
- 91% rated their feeling of safety in the Woodfield area as positive
- 91% gave excellent or good ratings to the overall feeling of safety in Schaumburg
- 94% reported that they were not victims of crime in the 12 months prior to the survey
- 97% gave particularly high ratings of the village's public safety services
- 95% would recommend the village as a good or excellent place to live
- 93% agreed Schaumburg was an excellent or good place to raise children
- 92% rated the village's overall appearance as good or excellent
To read more about Schaumburg’s high ratings achieved in the 2016 National Citizen Survey, visit this webpage.