The Village of Schaumburg has been closely monitoring reports and recommendations from local, state, and national health agencies regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). With this in mind, we would like to encourage both our residential and commercial customers to utilize any of these alternate ways to obtain permits and contractor’s licenses:
- Express Permits and contractor’s licenses via WebPay – Submit and pay for the following permits without leaving your home or office!
- Roofing, Siding, Air Conditioner, Furnace, Water Heater, Sewer Repair and Certificate of Occupancy
- Note: Payments must be made by credit card with a 2.25% service fee
- Your permit card will be approved and emailed to you. Please print (preferably in color) and post in a prominent location near the entry prior to starting work.
Residential or Commercial Permits and Plans – submit your permit application and plans by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ideally, emailed plans should be 10MB or less.
- Large Residential or Commercial Permits and Plans – Submittals with plans larger than 10MB can be submitted on a CD and be mailed to us at 101 Schaumburg Ct, Schaumburg, IL 60193, Attn: Permits. As an alternative, the applicant may also send an electronic link to email@example.com so that we may download drawings from your cloud-based storage (ie: Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc.).
- Please refer to our electronic submittal resource guidefor additional information.
- Permit payments can be made on our WebPay page once plans are approved. We will provide you a link to our Pay for a Permit WebPay page, the correct fee, and a code to use for payment.
- Your approved plans can be emailed to you if within the size restrictions. Otherwise, approved plans can be mailed on a CD.
As always, please feel free to contact us with additional questions at 847-923-4420.
Most residential building alterations, from new houses and additions to small improvements such as decks, fences, pools, etc. require a permit. Permits are required for the protection of the property owner, neighbors and village. The attached brochure highlights information and resources about permits and maintenance issues. A plan review is conducted for the permit types which are listed in the table below.
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department ata 847-923-4420.
If you have any questions regarding the permit application, process, inspections or requirements, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847-923-4420.
One copy of your plat of survey, highlighting the location of the project.
NEW! One set of architectural stamped drawings and one electronic set. The electronic set can be submitted via USB drive, CD, or document link (e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If submittals do not adhere to the Electronic Plan Review/Permit Submittal Instructions, your submittal may be rejected.
For other requirements specific to each project, including current fees and required inspections, a resource guide is available by choosing your project in the table below.
Contractors working on the project must have a valid Village Contractor's Business License. The Village does not license roofers or plumbers as these trades are licensed by the State of Illinois. You can verify if a roofing contractor is State licensed by visiting the website of the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulations. To verify if a plumbing contractor is State licensed, please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217.524.0791. Effective March 1, 2013, per ILCS 320/37 (from Ch. 111, par. 1135 of The Illinois Plumbing License Law), "A letter of intent shall be included with all plumbing permit applications. The letter shall be written on the licensed plumber of record's business stationery and shall include the license holder's signature and, if the license holder is incorporated, the license holder's corporate seal. If the license holder is not incorporated, the letter must be notarized." If we do not have a current copy of a roofer's license or plumber's license, we will ask that they submit a copy to us prior to permit issuance.
If your residence is governed by a homeowner's association, you must submit a Homeowner's Association sign off for any exterior projects.
If you plan to store any items in a Temporary Storage Unit during construction, see the link below to apply for a no-fee permit.
If your project requires excavation, please remember to contact J.U.L.I.E. at 800-892-0123 before digging.