The Village of Schaumburg is participating in the SolSmart program funded by the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative, which helps local governments reduce barriers to solar energy growth and make it easier for homes and businesses to go solar.
Schaumburg has achieved the Silver level designation in the SolSmart program indicating the village is “open for solar business”. The village streamlined its permit and plan review process, and updated its Solar Energy Code to encourage the use of solar energy as a renewable energy resource. New solar energy systems reduce energy demand, reduce the use of fossil fuels, create jobs and will help Schaumburg achieve the goals of the Comprehensive Green Action Plan.Refer to Schaumburg’s Commercial and Residential Solar Energy Systems Resource Guides for information about permits and the application and inspection processes.
- Schaumburg’s Solar Energy Systems Ordinance
- ComEd Interconnect and Net Metering Information
- DSIRE Database for State Incentives for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- Grow Solar Local Government Solar Toolkit
- Homeowners Solar Rights Act
- Project Sunroof
- U.S. Department of Energy State and Local Energy Data
- Schaumburg's Solar Statement
Consumer Protection Resources
The links below range from basic residential consumer resources, to resources on land leasing for larger landowners.
- Going Solar In America
- Illinois Solar Energy Association – Consumer Protection Business Code of Conduct
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Solar Customer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Consumer Protection Industry Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Guide to Land Leases for Solar
- The Solar Foundation – Leasing Municipal & Private Property for Solar: Key Steps & Considerations
Find an Installer
In Illinois a solar installation company must have Distributed Generation Certification through the Illinois Commerce Commission or be working with a subcontractor who has this certification. The links below provide lists of certified installers.