The RxBOX is located in the lobby of the Police Department at 1000 W. Schaumburg Road and can be accessed at any time.
The RxBOX Program started in June 2009 as Schaumburg's solution to disposing of medications that may otherwise pollute the environment if disposed of in the trash or in the water supply.
- Schaumburg residents can bring medications including over-the-counter, prescription medications, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or unused to this location.
- These items should be placed in a zip locked plastic bag to be deposited in the RxBOX. Also, asthma inhalers can be deposited in a separate zip locked plastic bag.
- The medications will then be incinerated in collaboration with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
- The RxBox is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Items NOT Accepted in the RxBox - Sharps, needles, syringes and thermometers - see below
Syringe and Needle Disposal
Residents can bring used sharps, syringes and pen needles that have been placed in a RED approved syringe disposal box to the Village of Schaumburg Nursing building located at 746 E. Schaumburg Road.
- Drop off - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Maximum number of containers accepted is 2 per visit
- Must be a Village of Schaumburg resident
- Will need to show proof of residency
- Resident will be required to sign a disposal log in sheet